Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I'm so PICCy (again)

So, I got my second PICC line in today.  The PICC line is a peripheral line with access to the central circulation; in other words, the line is accessed at my arm but the catheter extends to almost the heart.  This kind of line is great for my anticipated long hospitalization, because the nurses can run my medications through the line and also draw my blood tests from it.  It will save me a lot of sticks!  It was a bit of a trial to put it in today because the blood vessels in my right arm kept going into such spasm that the PA couldn't access the veins.  However, when he switched over to the left arm, things were smooth as silk.  I'm PICCy once again.  :)

The staff wanted to know why I needed another PICC line, since they can last a long time and I had one placed earlier this summer, and I admitted that I had my first one pulled for my trip to Europe... so I'm sharing a photo of the London Eye today because my wonderful family vacation is on my mind!

While I was in the recovery area, I found my friend K whom I met at the last hospitalization!  She is getting a stem cell transplant for an unusual form of Multiple Sclerosis.  It was nice to see a friendly face, and we will be each other's support during our mutual stays.  We have a lot in common--cute sons, supportive hubbies, autoimmune disease, and the exact same stem cell transplant schedule!

It's so nice to have Steve here with me, so thanks to everyone at home (especially my parents) who are keeping the home fires burning.  And the kids happy, and the dogs fed, and the cats pampered, and the horse exercised, and... I think you get the picture!

3 comments:

  1. We're all rooting for you, C'MON HOLLY!

    Mic x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, you are doing great. Please tell K that we are thinking of her too. It is good to have friends, isn't it?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be sure and wear a hat when you are outside. I don't want you to get a sunburn on your head.

    Dr. Mike

    ReplyDelete