Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Brand New Day

We call it Day 0.  The stem cell transplant has taken place!

Come on, stem cells (Michelle, I'm using my Scottish accent there)!

I have had a very difficult couple of days.  I don't recall ever promising to be strong or stoic, which is a good thing, 'cause I'd be a liar.  I've been emotional, sick, and pretty miserable.  But, I have some really good news, too.

Dr. Burt was concerned about my heart making it through these past 5-6 days, but my heart did great.  So, he feels strongly that we are through the danger zone.  It's really the best news I could get.

I'm not, however, through the "misery zone."  Diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, and malaise have taken over.  I'm getting a blood transfusion now.  My white blood cell count was 0.3 today, and my hemoglobin was 8.  All the drugs and antibiotics and antivirals and antifungals have--along with my neutropenia (no immune system)--put my gut way out of order.  It's very unpleasant.  I know I have to just get through, but do I really have to do it with poise and grace?  Let's hope not.  :)  (It's really hard to vomit gracefully--trust me.)

Steve left tonight for a business meeting in San Diego tomorrow.  I will miss him but I'm glad he can kiss the boys for me.  I miss them very much, and miss my family and friends, too.  Thanks to all of you for keeping me going.  When my strength is depleted, I'm leaning on you.

14 comments:

  1. Holly, you're entitled to do whatever you have to to get through this most difficult time. So sorry Steve had to leave as I know he's been a great source of strength. I'm sure he will be a great comfort to your boys, as of course, they need him too. I hope he can come back soon to you. I can't even begin to imagine what all you've been through these past few days but I'm sure it was ugly. Big hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman Holly- and I am so glad you are sharing your story.

    Best,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all love you very much Holly! Many blessings and prayers....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how feeling,
    We stem cell are more then survivors,
    we are miracles.
    YOU ARE A MIRACLES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, I am so sorry you have had a rough few days. Hopefully the worst of the "misery zone" is behind you. We love you. Happy Day 0! -Pam and Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly:

    Steve is so lucky to have married a strong woman like you. You are a warrior and not just because of the haircut. Keep fighting those virals, fungals and biotics (well, you said antibiotics, antivirals and antifungals).

    I was glad you interpreted the neutropenia. I thought it was something tranvestites had.

    Huga and love, Chemo Sabe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Holly,
    My husband was diagnosed about the same time as you in 2007. He had a stem-cell transplant last July at City of Hope. It was a rough ride but before we knew it he made it to 100 days, six months, and now over a year.
    Before you know it, you'll be celebrating,too! I'm praying that you pass this with ease.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Day 0, sending lots of love. Fight, fight, fight! Stem cells, do yer thing!

    Love, Jolie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Happy Day 0! Sorry to hear you have to go through all the misery, but it'll all be worth it. Hang in there Holly! Praying for you. Es

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Holly,

    Hang in there dear one! I had the same procedure 6 1/2 years ago and I continue to get better! I would be delighted to send you the PDF of my story IF I had an email address?

    Blessings to you!
    Sherlyn D. Delaney
    blondyinkc@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holly,

    I don't believe there is anyone that could go through 'that misery zone' being strong and stoic let alone with poise and grace, so don't feel bad. The fact that your heart was strong enough to endure everything is very good news, your heart is your strength. Thank you for keeping us informed and I hope your next couple of days are vomit free!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holly,

    I think you are selling yourself short. If anyone can vomit with grace, it would be you.

    We love you Holly. You are in our thoughts and prayers every day.

    Scott and Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking about you Holly, Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Scott. You ARE grace personified. Next time you vomit, please think of all of us just sitting around admiring that grace. Seriously, you are doing great, and now COME ON STEM CELLS!!! We will really celebrate when we hear about their arrival. Mary

    ReplyDelete