Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dog Days???

Oh, Chicago.  Where are my promised dog days?

Another rainy day here in Chicago.  And another day filled with medical testing!

I got my PICC line placed this morning.  This "peripherally inserted central catheter" allows me to avoid the hassle of daily IV pokes and blood draws.  Instead, I care for my line and the nurses at the hospital can access it each day.  It was a fairly easy procedure to have it inserted, and it's not too uncomfortable to have.

Next, my favorite nurse Kristin drew 18--count 'em 18--vials of blood from me!  That's when I appreciated my PICC line the most, I think!  Kristin is the best.  She does all of my appointments and keeps in constant communication with me.

Kristin suggested I think about getting a wig--so I'm putting that out there for input.  She said my insurance will probably pay, so I called them and in fact they will.  I will lose my hair in July, and she said I will have "Demi Moore in Ghost" length hair in about 6 months.  Comments?  Advice?

Next was my dental clearance and X-rays (all clear), and then my cardiac MRI.  I spent about 10 hours, from 6:30 am to 4:30 pm, doing all the appointments today.  I'm wiped out!  I came home--in the rain, of course--and crashed for 3 hours before Steve texted me awake!

The best part of my day?  The play-by-play texting of Jake's Tournament of Champions baseball game.  Congrats to the Dodgers, and to Jake on his two singles and two runs!

5 comments:

  1. You should get a platinum blond wig so that no one notices any change from your current hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think platinum blond on Fridays, hot pink bob on Saturdays, red for Sundays, etc. You might as well have fun with it! lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about all the rain. Hope that all the poking and drawing contiues to go well.

    I'm going to hold off on the "Ghost" jokes ... for now.

    Thinking of you and wishing you all the best!
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is that MY insurance would pay for something that would get me on a path to look like Demi Moore someday, I would jump on it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps.... GO JAKE!!!!!! Wow. And I know those were for your mom.

    ReplyDelete