Friday, June 18, 2010

Bad to the Bone

I spent the last couple of days meeting with my medical team here in San Diego.  I saw my wonderful pulmonologist, cardiologist, and rheumatologist, and spoke at length with my primary internist.

I like what my cardiologist said... he, like most of my doctors, didn't want to sway my decision.  But, as we discussed my options, he determined that I had a bad option and a worse option.  "The trick," he advised, "is to pick the bad option."

I'm here to tell you honey, that I'm bad to the bone.

I have decided to proceed with the stem cell transplant, off study and fully aware of the risks of a transplant with PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension).  I'm pretty sure that's the bad option, and I embrace it with optimism.

10 comments:

  1. I would support you in whatever decision you made or make. This was not a simple or easy one, for sure. As always, my prayers and thoughts are with you.

    Love, B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, you're my hero! All the best. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. In addition to the words of your cardiologist and Dr. Thorogood, I'm reminded of these words from Teddy Roosevelt: "In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."

    Love,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful news. You are brave and smart and on top of that, you are good at decision making! Hope you are enjoying this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Holly,
    We are all rooting for you at Tartan Farms! You are amazing.
    Love,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly, I saw a message my mom posted to you via Facebook. I am so touched by what you are facing. I grew up with the Williams boys -- I am the oldest of the 4 Needham kids that tormented John and Ruth for all those years. I wish you, Steven and your family all the best. I know just a little of what you're up against after witnessing a close friend with this ugly disease. Keep the faith and I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
    Kathy (Needham) Caulfield

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly - my sister, Kathy alerted me to your blog and like her I was very touched. I grew up with Steve. His family has always had a very special place in my heart and are often connected to favorite childhood memories. Please know that you, Steve, and your family are in my thoughts.
    Erin (Needham) Collard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly, with you all the way.

    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog. You sound so amazing. I look forward to following your journey. I'm rooting for you. That shouting you hear rooting for you from the north is coming from me and my family in Murrieta.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete