Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Small Victories

Well, I had some rough times since my last blog, but I am celebrating my small victories today.  Some, you will note, are grander than others... but I will let you be the judge!

Today's victory: I ate a normal lunch and dinner!  My nausea is vastly improved, I have not thrown up in days, and my energy level is better.  My gut, however, is still not a happy camper.  I also finally returned some shoes I ordered online that didn't fit.  They had been eyeing me from my entry way bench for 3 weeks... but I just didn't have the energy to get it done.  And today it was easy as pie.

Yesterday's victory: When I did the breakfast dishes I noticed that the boys had eaten cereal for breakfast without milk.  I opened the refrigerator and--it's true--we were out.  And they never said a word.  That's not the victory, don't worry.  The victory was that I went grocery shopping and got some fresh foods and cooked a couple of meals!  But it touched me that the boys have become so accustomed to or sensitive to my difficulties over just these few weeks I've been home that they are trying to just make do.  It was a Scarlett O'Hara moment for me for sure... I will try to do a better job keeping food in the house.

Weekend victories: Jake had a huge battle for the West Coast Tennis Academy Boys 12s championship match.  Lost the first set 4-6 with impeccable sportsmanship (for those who know Jake, that is no small victory).  Won the second set 7-5 after getting down 3-5.  But lost the third set tiebreaker.  For me, seeing Jake play so well and handle himself so well was an immense source of joy and energy, and possibly the reason my next two days went better!
Then, Steve racked up the ribbons at his horseshow.  I miss Atlas, miss riding, but snuck down to a non-stable area where I could safely watch the show and minimize exposures.  It was great to see my friends, and pet my horse (Champion Green Rider, 2nds in all the Low AA Hunters).

Those are the main areas of celebration at present, but there is so much to celebrate in our lives and our friendships.  Just the fact that you care enough to read this, and send me email reminders if I fall behind is cause for celebration. Prior to the weekend, I didn't get out of bed or leave the house much, so if I haven't returned a message or call please forgive me.  I was very sick with that colitis.

Will have more good news soon, I hope!  :)

7 comments:

  1. Love that you are focused on the small victories and praying THE BIG victory you've been waiting for is just around the corner. lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is ALL great news!! What a feast for the eyes your post is!! Thank you for writing. Way to go Holly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you and are cheering for you!!! Will be there if you need some assistance in a pinch. You are truly such an amazing Mom, and the boys reflect this observation. Cameron and Alison send their love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joy to read your blog and know that you are feeling better!

    Thinking of you,
    George and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad to hear you are feeling better!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are getting there! Wonderful wonderful! It is so good to hear the victories and the stories. Keep up the good work and super attitude - you're a hero.. Ginny and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly,

    Spoke to Jake Saturday and I could see that asking about you troubled him.

    You have remained a trooper thru all this, and I'm pulling for you. Hang in there !!!!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete