Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I am thrilled to report that I was able to ride my sweet Atlas last week--not once, but twice!  I rode for just a few minutes, but dang I was sore!  I have lost so much endurance and muscle since this photo was taken just a few short months ago in May.  However, that is a small price to pay for the potential benefits this stem cell transplant may bring.

One issue which is keeping me from increasing my exercise program more quickly is persistent tachycardia (fast heart rate).  I'm not sure if it is a double edged sword--my deconditioning is leading to the tachycardia which limits my exercise capacity... or if the cardiac involvement of my scleroderma is leading to the tachycardia... or if the Cytoxan-mediated weakening of my heart is more persistent than my doctors in Chicago had hoped.  My gastroenterologist discussed the issue with me at our visit this week.  She was concerned enough to suggest cardiac testing, but I admit I'm hesitant given how much testing has been done on my poor heart already this year.

So I continue with my short little exercise routines and hope for the best.

Promised updates: Jake lost in the quarterfinals of his last tournament, and Luke's been rained out.

Yes, it's true non-Southern Californians!  We've had a week of drab and rainy weather!  You can gloat away.

4 comments:

  1. I am thrilled that you have been on your horse! Sorry to hear about your tachycardia. That is a real issue to deal with when it comes to trying to exercise. I am hoping for a simple explanation and also hoping to hear that it is temporary. Keep up the great work, Holly. And better yet, keep up the fun you are beginning to have again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chemo Sabe:

    Gawd, I'm proud of you being back on your horse. Please, please be careful and don't push too hard. In your weakened state, horseback riding is a severe challenge. Tiny steps as long as they are forward are great.

    Hugs, Chemo Sabe II

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are doing a little better...prayers always for your recovery.XX Rachna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That seems like awesome progress considering where you could be right now:)! It is soooo good to hear that you are trending in a positive direction! By the way, I started orientation as an RN at Scripps Memorial in LJ:). Based on what my new manager said, this should be an amazing learning experience:)! I'll keep you up to date as I watch your own progress, my friend:)!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete