Monday, October 11, 2010

Baby Steps

The stem cell transplant is very tough on the body as a whole.  The transplant itself, as well as the many complications I have experienced, has left my body much weaker than before.  (see photo--just kidding)  When I saw my rheumatologist last week complaining about my level of deconditioning, she advised me to start back slow and suggested 2 minute workouts each day.

I have been trying to do a little more each day, and managed a 5 minute workout on the elliptical today at level 0.  My heart rate was between 140-151 the whole time.  I can't believe how out of shape you can get in a just a couple of months!  And, yes, it's now 2 months since the transplant.  :)

One of my neighbors had a stem cell transplant 5 months ago, and it did provide me with some perspective and reassurance to see him today and discuss our struggles with getting moving.  I also am in touch with my floormates from the hospital, who underwent the procedure the same day that I did, so I have a sense of where I should be and where I could be.

I'm glad that I have the energy to try and get going.  I know I will have continued ups and downs, but the little victories are continuing to add up!  I got to see Luke play in a tennis tournament this weekend (runner-up, as well!) and Jake also won a couple of matches (to be continued next weekend).  I watched Steve ride and have hopes that one of my 5 minute workouts this week will be on horseback.

It's been gorgeous in San Diego, and I'm just chomping on the bit to get back into the swing of things!  Thanks for all of your notes and words of support.

5 comments:

  1. Holly:

    Your positive report just made my day. Take it slow, but take it.

    Hugs, PapPap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Holly,
    Take it slow like the turtle who won the race. 5 minutes is great! Love hearing about all those positives and looking forward to more. It's great you have support from people who've been through the process before and who are going through it the same time as you.
    Love, Es

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah! Over achiever that you are, you're already at 5 minutes instead of 2! Continue the baby steps forward rather than overdoing and then going backwards. Know you are thought of and prayed for often! lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can all just see you on that horse! What a beautiful sight that will be. And I bet anything you won't stop after 5 minutes :). Let us know how the tennis comes out! Way to go, Luke and Jake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear Holly. Still cheering you on in Murrieta!!!
    Karen:-)

    ReplyDelete