Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Once is Never Enough

I had a funny moment today.  At about 6 pm, at the end of a very long day of always urgent medical treatments, I spotted my fabulous rheumatologist in the hallway as I received my IV antibiotics.

She had emailed me last week with a lab value which was quite elevated.  I was apparently sick of being sick.  I emailed her back and basically said, "Let's pretend we never ordered it."  She said she just didn't know how to respond... but she knew she would be seeing me this week and we'd figure it out.  Oh--and I didn't have an appointment.  She just knew I'd be back.

And I was.  My testing today showed that my pneumonia and pleural effusion (the fluid collection in my lung) have recurred.  The symptoms are exactly the same as those I felt in the hospital, but while the volume was 11 (for those Spinal Tap fans) in Chicago, the volume is down at about 4 now.

So, with great haste another PICC line was placed today and my IV antibiotics restarted, as well as new oral antibiotics and some other medication adjustments.  This, too, will pass.  Just like those refried beans.  :)

9 comments:

  1. Well that is just not acceptable news. But, I am assuming that we like 4 more than we liked 11? Sounds like maybe about a third as bad as before?? I like that math.... also means it will resolve 3 times as fast I think...that is what we will count on. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your attitude is amazing! Reminds me of a quote I read last night that went something like: Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. You are keeping that 90% positive! lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get Well Soon Aunt Holly. We love and miss you, Sofia Rose and Ava Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang it! Hoping the treatment kicks in soon. Keeping you in my thoughts.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Holly,
    I hope you are feeling better real soon. You are a real fighter and your positive attitude will get you through all this. We are thinking of you all the time. I would like to know if we can make you dinner or bake for you. Let us know if you crave anything that might taste good to you. Also, let me know if you need any errands run or any help at home. Take care, Toni, Larry, Dana and Jill Green

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Holly,

    I have a friend that probably has systemic scleroderma. I was just doing some research online and came across a doctor in Philly that has a scleroderma clinic. He's Dr. Sergio Jimenez at the scleroderma center of Philadelphia (Thomas Jefferson Univ. Hosp). Do you know anything about him or this clinic? My friend lives in CO, but her symptoms are so severe that I feel like she needs an expert NOW(she's been to a lot of doctors). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much! Stephanie Younger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there Holly. Keep up your fighting spirit. Always thinking of you.Please let me know if I can help you in any way.
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Stephanie,
    I don't know Dr. Jimenez, but a brief look on the internet seems to indicated he has all the right experience. However, the Scleroderma Foundation can give you and your friend the right referral. They have local chapters all over the country. I'm so sorry I don't have specific information for you, but if I can help in any way please contact me. Good luck to you and your friend.
    Yours,
    Holly
    hollyh at san dot rr dot com (to keep the automated programs from picking up my address!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Holly,
    What a woman you are!! not only having a rough time, you still have time to help out others! You definatly are the wright person to be a caring doctor. So glad my family and I got to meet you and your family. You are an insperation! Hang on in there Holly. Luv to you and your gang. mic x

    ReplyDelete