Monday, July 12, 2010

Eating Humble Pie on a Soap Box?

Sitting in the waiting area for admissions this morning was a humbling experience.  Not because I don't feel that I am as ill or as needy as the other patients--I certainly feel that my condition warrants aggressive treatment.  What was humbling to me was to once again realize how lucky I am.

I met a patient with an autoimmune disease who is also here for a stem cell transplant.  She is in the early stages of kidney disease.  However, because my new friend is not currently disabled from her illness, she is still working.  She only gets a couple of weeks of sick leave per year.  So she will be here overnight for induction chemotherapy, go back to work Wednesday, return and plan to be in hospital for only 2 weeks for the stem cell transplant, and then go back to work.  ??  Without her job, she has no health insurance to cover the procedure... she cannot lose her job, but apparently there is no state short term disability in Illinois and federal family medical leave applies only to larger companies.  She will have to work during a stem cell transplant.  I honestly cannot see how it will be possible.

I met a young woman with another autoimmune disease, here with her husband and 9 year old son.  Like me, she has disabling symptoms and is on Medicare (this kicks in the US after 2 years of disabling disease).  However, her Medicare is primary and her husband's insurance is secondary because of the size of the company he works for.  And thank goodness for that!  Her husband's insurance has denied and denied care for her, despite horrific complications of her disease.  Luckily, she now qualifies for Medicare.

Steve's insurance remains primary to my Medicare because HP is such a large company.  How fortunate I am that my insurance company has approved my care.  But should good luck be a requirement for good health care?

As the conversation turned from health issues to food stamps, I realized yet again how very lucky I am.

If you fear health care reform because you think health care will be rationed, think again.  That reality is already here.  If you think it cannot affect you because you work and have good health insurance, think again.  The best thing is to stay healthy.  The stories above are the SUCCESS stories.  The people who are going on food stamps to get health care are the lucky ones.  For each person who is fighting these insurance issues to get health care, there are countless others without the resources or help to navigate this complicated system--or, have a really stubborn insurance company.

Don Berwick was recently appointed by President Obama during a recess, to avoid an anticipated filibuster of his nomination on the Senate floor.  The big topic these days: rationing of health care.  Right now, having private insurance does not mean that you will receive the treatment your doctor recommends, but the people who ration your care work in the health insurance industry.  Dr. Berwick thinks they should be in government, and that "we should ration with our eyes open."

Want to join the healthcare debate?

Oh, I'm doing well.  In the hospital, starting chemotherapy, enjoying a lovely afternoon and evening of bladder irrigation.  :(  I have a beautiful room at Spa Prentice, complete with room service and a flat screen TV.  If you've got to have chemo, this is the place to be.  The photo above shows my view, which happens to be of my apartment building with a peek of lake just behind...

3 comments:

  1. Hello there! thank you for allowing us into your life by sending the link to your blog...my husband spoke of you with wonderful words and was inspired greatly by your amazing attitude!:) We wish you the best in and will keep you in our hearts and prayers!:) stay strong, live laugh love!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your strength and courage inspire an amaze us, Holly. You are a remarkable person and you'll continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

    With love,
    George and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, your gift of looking beyond yourself and into the eyes of people less fortunate than yourself... that ability...will carry you farther than you know. Our love and best thoughts are with you always. And yes, let's get some real health care reform in this country. We really really need it.

    ReplyDelete