Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Big Biopsy




Img: 3D lung
Over the past several months I have developed a couple of nodules on my lungs, in addition to the "ground glass" appearance seen most often in scleroderma lung disease on high resolution CT scan.  One of these nodules grew rather quickly since the scan of 6 months ago.  There is a small concern that it could represent something other than scleroderma, such as a fungal infection in my lungs (from being on immunosuppressants and spending a lot of time at a stable) or another disease process.  Before I can proceed to the stem cell transplant, therefore, we must determine what this tiny little nodule represents.

And so Monday I will be down at Green Hospital for a lung biopsy.  Wish me luck!  It should be a fairly easy procedure with just a needle used to sample the tissue under CT guidance.

Monday is also Steve's birthday.  Just in case I'm not up for a big party that night, we're heading out to dinner with his Dad and the kids tonight.

In other exciting news, I was asked to be a Guest Blogger on the new Southern California Scleroderma Foundation blog.  This would, perhaps, be a greater honor if we had some readers.  :)  So, spread the news.  There's a new blog in town.  If you haven't got your fill of scleroderma news here on KFS, head on over to the official blog for more news and information.  And if you know someone with scleroderma, please send this post along to them so that they have the link and can begin to benefit from the support of the Foundation.

http://www.sclerobloggers.org/


I will post the biopsy results as soon as I have them.  Looking forward to good news!  Thanks for checking the blog and for all the comments--your support means the world to me.

2 comments: