Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!


I can hardly believe that the holiday season is upon us.  When I first came home from the hospital, the days dragged by in slow succession.  This past month, as I've tried (unsuccessfully) to catch up a little, it seems the days went by in a blink.

My amazing tennis team, with whom I have not been able to play for over 2 years now, had a 100 days party for me!  I was able to make my first "public" appearance in--if not a crowd--at least an intimate group of healthy people.  It was such fun to see my good friends and catch up on everything I've seemed to have missed of late.

I've taken in a boarder, of sorts... a friend called with stories of a beautiful homeless horse; so, unable to resist, I welcomed him into my life... if only for a while.  He's in the photo on this page, with my trainer aboard.  We will see.  It's the first truly crazy, impulsive, shall we say "Holly-thing" I've done in several years.  It felt GREAT!  The excitement of seeing him come in off a trailer in the dark, unsure what color he might be, and then riding him these last few days and seeing what a gem he is... it makes me feel young at heart.

The only thing that doesn't make me feel young at heart these days is my dang heart.  I saw my pulmonologist today to review the latest echocardiogram.  She suggested a referral to the heart failure clinic.  My heart is showing "global hypokinesis" and a low "ejection fraction."  Although initially assumed that these issues were related to the lung disease, and may still be, several doctors have now suggested that scleroderma is in my heart causing the same stiffening of the tissues.  This does not allow the heart to relax properly when it needs to... like... every beat.  So, this can lead the heart to fail as a pump.  Medications could be changed, things could be addressed, but not with impulsive Holly (who needs to get right back to the stable) driving this car.

I talked my doctor into another 4 month check.  These data seem pretty similar to August, and I still have to hope that the hit my heart took during transplant will recover.  After all I went through to regain my health, I just need to keep hoping that the heart can bounce back.  It got hit from all sides--high pulmonary pressures, interstitial lung disease, huge chemo doses, and now this scleroderma infiltration (presumed) causing diastolic dysfunction.

But my heart told me what it needs.  It just needs more time at the stables, to let go of it all and do some riding.  :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  I wish I could be with you, but know you have my love, and that you are the blessings I count on this day and every day.

5 comments:

  1. Holly, your new boy is LOVELY! Congratulations! And I can't tell you how happy I am that you're back at the barn and riding already. I thought you would have to stay away from all things horse for much longer. I, for one, truly believe getting back to your horses is the absolute best way to heal your heart. :)

    Always thinking of you, and wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving! <3<3<3

    Love, Jolie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,

    I have scleroderma, also. I check your blog daily; it really means so much to me. My fingers are always crossed for you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving and hoping your heart will start acting young soon. Es

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone. Listen to your heart just like you are doing and it will lead you the right direction. Enjoy that beautiful horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the above comments, Holly! So glad you can ride again. My granddaughters really work me over some days, but I maintain they are my best medicine for whatever ails me. Some semblance of normalcy is vital. How lovely your tennis club had a party for you. God bless, and you're still in my prayers. Love, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete