Sunday, February 7, 2010

Progress and Pain

Both of my boys have birthdays in January, so it has been a very busy month!  Jake chose to have his party at a Laser Tag spot, and Luke chose to have his party at home.

For Luke's event, the kids participated in a photo scavenger hunt, wandering the neighborhood with cameras (and adult supervision) to try to find a number of unusual items on a long list.  :)  The photo here is one of my favorties.

Progress: the kids are another year older, and they're doing well.

Sadly, I was not able to walk along with the kids.  This week in particular, my pain has been quite brutal, especially in the afternoons and at night.  I am having trouble walking, navigating stairs, brushing my hair or teeth, opening my pill bottles, pushing buttons, and so on.  It's kept me from writing in my blog (although I have voice recognition software, just using the mouse has been trouble).  I feel particularly hypochondriacal when I see how much I can do between about 9 am and noon.  I am still able to exercise, type a bit, shower and wash my hair, and so forth without much difficulty.  My joints are stiff and sore in the mornings, but I feel like a cripple later in the day.

My doctors are on the case.  They plan to change my meds and I am going to try a new rub-in joint cream. I head to Chicago on March 2 for a review in the trial, and to see where I stand with respect to the lung and skin issues.  I had hoped to gain at least a couple of years of trouble-free existence after the Cytoxan infusions, but my optimism is fading in that respect.  Dr. Burt (who runs the Chicago trial) was kind enough to call me on Friday, however, and discuss my situation.  He is open to allowing me to take just about any immunosuppressant medication that my local doctors recommend, so that is a relief and my local rheumatologist is already seeking approval from the insurance company for a new injectable.

Progress:  Dr. Burt visited San Diego this week and gave the Grand Rounds lecture at Scripps Clinic.  I am told he was very well-received, and generated a great deal of enthusiasm for his work doing stem cell transplants in autoimmune diseases like MS and diabetes.  Let's hope we see equally good results in systemic scleroderma.

*This is my second post on the new blog, so be sure to check out January's news!  I just got everything up and running, though... sorry that you didn't get a chance to see it earlier.

7 comments:

  1. Holly,
    We're halfway through winter and spring is just around the corner...
    The kids and I send love and best wishes to you and the family.

    Suzie Schudson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Holly. I have been through a number of trials with my health as well, and I know how frustrating it can be sometimes. Maybe sometime I can come down and visit, of if you are ever up this way.. let me know.

    Kindra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Holly Go! Thank you so much for the words. You have a whole army of loving supporters behind you! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly,
    So sorry to hear about your pain. It's good to hear that you are able to have a few productive hours in the morning - even if they don't seem long enough.

    Please let me know what I can do for you and your three boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck as you return to Chicago next week. One friend of mine who was at death's door weighing under 100 on oxygen 24/7 took Cytoxin and is now back teaching full-time (3rd grade). She is amazed at how well she is doing. I'm sure she would be glad to chat with you if you think it would be helpful. I've been especially sore but am blaming it on the weather. Hugs to you, my Friend! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. UGH! I HATE this illness and how you feel because of it~ but love you and admire your strength, optimism, fighting spirit, and love for others despite what you are living with. You are an amazing woman!!! I am so glad you have a new blog...SO MANY people ask me about you so I am glad you gave me permission to share this website. May GOD BLESS YOU and give you peace and I am praying for RECOVERY! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Holly. Glad to see you have a new blog. SO many people want to keep up with you. I am so bummed to hear how bad you have been feeling. I admire you so much for your strength, compassion and love for others despite all the things you are dealing with. You are so amazing! I will be praying for your health!

    ReplyDelete